Sunday 27 January 2013

Day 2: Chamonix centre, Chamonix Sud, hot chocolate and a change of plans

Exploring solo day for me today. Went to breakfast and got speaking to one of the members of staff, Lynette. She gave me some mountain information and some hints and tips for the area. Lovely girl who made me feel really at home.

I decided to go for a wander around Chamonix Sud to check out the cable cars and costs of ascending Aiguille Du Midi which is directly across from the lodge and to check out whether or not I would have time today to make my journey to the top. I was informed to allow at least 3.30 - 4hours so I decided I would do that on my 1st rest day after my weeks ice adventures. After making my final decision, I walked into Chamonix centre to see some shops and sights and find my way around. After a few hours wandering around, I decided to head back to the lodge to get a bit of rest before meeting the people from the course. About 10 minutes after I returned to the lodge, I bumped into Simon who asked me if I wanted to go for a coffee so of course I had to say yes. We walked back into the centre and went to a place called elevation which is quite popular with skiers and snowboarders coming off the hill and by the taste of the hot chocolate, I could tell why it was liked so much.

Back at the lodge, I met up with Andy, our guide and Ben the only other person on the course for a drink and a chat in the bar before dinner. We got our gear for the week sorted and talked through our plan for the week. The original plan was a few days climbing in Chamonix and a few days in cogne however, the conditions in the French alps this week are not that great and some of the routes are at risk if avalanche so Andy decided that we would just go to cogne and climb there for the entire week. Not a problem for me, I'm happy anywhere.

After dinner we arranged to meet in the morning and we all headed off to pack and get some rest for the day ahead. Tomorrow we head though the Mont Blanc tunnel to Italy and then on to Cogne... How exciting... Bring it on I say.

S xx

No comments:

Post a Comment